FREE Delivery on orders of R4500 or more!
BUY WINE
NEWS & PROMOTIONS

Labyrinth

Labyrinth

Milestones in the History of Doolhof


1709

Jacques Portier of Moscroon Flanders received permission to graze his livestock on land described simply as being ‘boven in de hoek van de Wagenmakesvallei’.


1712

Jacques Portier received a formal freehold grant of the property, it was designated as Doolhof and no longer went by the former rather vague description.


1739

Andries du Toit buys Doolhof after the death of Jacques Portier.


1765

Johan Herman Lategan of the neighbouring Welvanpas acquires Doolhof from Andries’ widow and enlarges the homestead. From the Lategans, Doolhof passed to the Retief family, and during their ownership of over forty years, several improvements were made to the property – among them a new wine cellar and wagon house.


1850

The famous road builder, Andrew Geddes Bain, lived for some months in the langhuis at Doolhof while he worked on the first part of the Pass which would ultimately bear his name and which crosses the upper section of Doolhof.


1860

Gawie se Water was completed by diverting the waters of the Witte River into a channel which would be led under the new Bains Kloof Pass and down the mountain to benefit all the farms in the valley.


1888

The farm passed down to Petrus Cillie who made a name for himself as a pioneer of the dried fruit industry.


1896

Doolhof passed to the dual ownership of Johannes Petrus Malan and Jacobus Francois Malan. It was Jacobus Malan who was reputed to have ‘modernized’ the old Cape style homestead with the addition of a pillared veranda.


2003

The Kerrison family acquires Doolhof and construction of a new winery begins.


2005

The first wine is made on the Estate.


2008

Renovations to the Main House begin. Restoration of the Tasting Room was completed in November.